Thursday 29 July 2010

Palace-Farm yard, same difference!

This week saw the last of our many events in Mumbwa, and one of the best yet. We held a community workshop for community leaders, including 7 headmen, 1 headwoman, a female witch doctor and other active community members. The workshop was held at the 'palace' of our local headman, but nothing like our western idea of lavish palaces. Just a collection of mud huts, with a large collection of animals, including dog, cats, chickens (I had to contain myself not to run away), goats (who kept trying to eat the flipchart) and cows (who wandered through the meeting without batting an eyelid). I was the only person to find this remotely funny, nobody else seemed to even notice!


Two teachers from Makasa with me and Mercy



A session on HIV myths and facts run by a local HIV activist - many of the misconceptions include that if youn wash yourself with cola or white spirit you won't become infected.




Trying to facilitate in Nyanja - basically nobody spoke English. I have no idea if they actually got what I was saying, but they were very excited that I tried.





Penlop, a grade 7 pupil, proudly wearing her peer leader badge. The school badge rules worldwide.

Nothing more very exciting to report, next week will be filled with farwell picnics and adventures, as well as people demanding I leave my phone, ipod, ALL of my clothes and numerous other belongings. I fear I'll end up travelling to debrief naked, someone has even bagsied my underwear!

No comments:

Post a Comment